Ear Correction Surgery - Otoplasty
Are you considering a otoplasty procedure?
Otoplasty is a plastic surgery procedure that offers a solution to any problems associated with the shape of the ears. Most people choose to undertake this plastic surgery for the following reasons: lack of self-confidence due to protruding ears; unwelcome comments from friends or work colleagues; restrictions in wearing certain hair styles or doing activities such as swimming where wet hair reveals the problem.
The lower age limit with children is five, before the children begin school. Patients under younger than 18 are required to have a written consent from their parent or their legal guardian.
Making arrangements for a otoplasty procedure
- The first step, is to contact our Clinic and we will reply within 24 hours. Then, if possible, it is helpful to send the photos of the body parts in question for the plastic surgeon to evaluate them. We respect every client´s privacy, therefore we ensure that the photos are always delivered straight to the plastic surgeon. Thus, the very first consultation with the plastic surgeon can happen via e-mail.
The photos can be sent in the following ways:
a. using our contact form placed on our website
b. sending us an e-mail and attaching a couple of photos for medical assessment to: firstname.lastname@example.org
c. mailing them to the Clinic - Rumunska 22, Prague 2, 120 00, Czech Republic
d. sending an MMS direct to the plastic surgeon’s phone +420 608 703 150.
After receiving your photos and getting the plastic surgeon’s recommendation, we are able to give you most accurate medical assessment of our plastic surgeons and details of your indication, offer the first available date of the operation or to confirm the date of your preference.
Every client then receives (via email) detailed instructions and information about the particular plastic surgery operation, needed for planning.
- It is recommended to get the pre-operative examination at the client’s local clinic, with the patient’s GP. The Pre-operative Evaluation Form is sent to the client via e-mail. If necessary, the examination can be done at our Clinic here in Prague.
- Good planning includes: making allowances for time off work (usually 2-3 weeks depending on the operation and the nature of the client’s job); making arrangements with the client’s family to provide support and help in the recovery period (avoiding physically demanding jobs, important social events etc.); if needed (and possible), arranging for children care.
- A deposit of €300 is required one month prior to your scheduled operation date, sent together with the confirmation of your reservation. The account number shall be sent to you via e-mail. In the event of a sudden illness or unavoidable problem, your operation date can be re-booked for a more convenient time.
- One month prior the operation, do not use any medications containing acetylsalicylic acid (such as Acylpyrin, Aspirin, Alnagon, Mironal etc.). It might increase bleeding during and after the plastic surgery.
- It is assumed that no acute illnesses have occurred in the period of at least 3 weeks prior to the planned plastic operation (a viral illness, a cold etc.). If so, it is necessary to inform the plastic surgeon.
- It is essential to remember to drink enough water (2-3 liters a day for min. 3 days prior to the operation) and to rest well the night before the operation. Nevertheless, no alcohol may be consumed the night before the operation and for ten hours before the operation, do not drink, eat or smoke.
- Wash your hair the day before the operation and do not put any facial lotion or make-up on the day of the plastic surgery. Any jewellery, including earrings, should not be worn.
- The clients staying in the suites arranged for by our Clinic enjoy the benefit of having their plastic surgeon in-house, as the Chief surgeon’s consultation office is in the same building as the suites, and the Clinic itself is within 50 m distance.
Ear surgery - the operation
Otoplasty is usually done under local anaesthetic. Special modifications to the pre- and post-operative periods can be made for children, to help relieve any fear. Otoplasty involves removing skin and reshaping cartilage from behind the ears. The ears are then stitched into the new position with the incision marks cleverly concealed in the natural crease behind the ear. The head is tightly bandaged to provide stability for the ears.
After the otoplasty procedure
The bandage is changed the next day after the operation and then again in 2-3 days. The post-operative care varies per individual case and depends on the agreement with the patient and the surgeon. The bandage is removed in 5-7 days. After removal, the hair should be washed and a protective band should be worn over the ears for several weeks. The stitches are self-absorbent.
Reduced ear sensitivity is a common post-operative symptom, therefore the ears should be protected from cold and swimming is not recommended, to prevent any infection in the ears. Patients may return to sports and physical activities 4-6 weeks after the Otoplasty.
THE PRICE OF THE OPERATION INCLUDES:
- we are ready to cover transportation fees from the airport or bus station (clients arrange their own transport upon arrival) and we will arrange for our own transport (clinic driver available) upon departure back to the airport or bus/train station
- personal consultation with the plastic surgeon
- the actual operation under local Anaesthesia
- stay at the Clinic for min. 3-4 hours
- all necessary medications and dressing material in the pre- and post- operative period
- elastic wear
- all the post-operative care (consultation, changing bandages, check-ups)