Eyelid Surgery – Blepharoplasty
Are you considering a blepharoplasty procedure?
Blepharoplasty is one of the most common operations in plastic and aesthetic surgery. It addresses changes to the ageing skin above and below the eye. Most people choose to undergo this plastic surgery for the following reasons: ‘looking tired’ all the time; difficulty in applying make-up; looking and feeling more aged than they are; hereditary factors have caused premature ageing; affected vision or appearance due to overhanging upper lids.
In blepharoplasty, loose skin, surplus fatty tissue and relaxed muscle in the eyelids are removed to tighten the skin and leave a flatter, more youthful appearance. Upper and lower lids can be operated on either together or separately. Skin excesses may be caused by various factors, including e.g. the type of skin and tendency for the eyelid swelling due to allergies and kidney illness.
It should be mentioned that the soft mimic wrinkles on the lower eyelid and outer edges of the eye are caused by the natural movement of face muscles and are permanent. They can be reduced with this operation in combination with Botulotoxin and collagen injections or laser resurfacing. You can find out more about this at the personal consultation with the plastic surgeon.
It is to be pointed out that the healing process is individual and differs case by case. Generally, scars will be pink along the inner margin of the lower lash and socket line to the upper lid and will normally fade quickly to leave faint white lines.
Specific to blepharoplasty you may be advised to undergo an eye test at home -- if you have any concerns about health issues in your eyes.
Making arrangements for a blepharoplasty procedure
- The first step, is to contact our Clinic and we will reply within 24 hours. Then, if possible, it is helpful to send the photos of the body parts in question for the plastic surgeon to evaluate them. We respect every client´s privacy, therefore we ensure that the photos are always delivered straight to the plastic surgeon. Thus, the very first consultation with the plastic surgeon can happen via e-mail.
The photos can be sent in the following ways:
a. using our contact form placed on our website
b. sending us an e-mail and attaching a couple of photos for medical assessment to: email@example.com
c. mailing them to the Clinic - Rumunska 22, Prague 2, 120 00, Czech Republic
d. sending an MMS direct to the plastic surgeon’s phone +420 608 703 150.
After receiving your photos and getting the plastic surgeon’s recommendation, we are able to give you most accurate medical assessment of our plastic surgeons and details of your indication, offer the first available date of the operation or to confirm the date of your preference.
Every client then receives (via email) detailed instructions and information about the particular plastic surgery operation, needed for planning.
- It is recommended to get the pre-operative examination at the client’s local clinic, with the patient’s GP. The Pre-operative Evaluation Form is sent to the client via e-mail. If necessary, the examination can be done at our Clinic here in Prague.
- Good planning includes: making allowances for time off work (usually 2-3 weeks depending on the operation and the nature of the client’s job); making arrangements with the client’s family to provide support and help in the recovery period (avoiding physically demanding jobs, important social events etc.); if needed (and possible), arranging for children care.
- A deposit of €300 is required one month prior to your scheduled operation date, sent together with the confirmation of your reservation. The account number shall be sent to you via e-mail. In the event of a sudden illness or unavoidable problem, your operation date can be re-booked for a more convenient time.
- One month prior the operation, do not use any medications containing acetylsalicylic acid (such as Acylpyrin, Aspirin, Alnagon, Mironal etc.). It might increase bleeding during and after the plastic surgery.
- It is assumed that no acute illnesses have occurred in the period of at least 3 weeks prior to the planned plastic operation (a viral illness, a cold etc.). If so, it is necessary to inform the plastic surgeon.
- It is essential to remember to drink enough water (2-3 liters a day for min. 3 days prior to the operation) and to rest well the night before the operation. Nevertheless, no alcohol may be consumed the night before the operation and for ten hours before the operation, do not drink, eat or smoke.
- Wash your hair the day before the operation and do not put any facial lotion or make-up on the day of the plastic surgery. Any jewellery, including earrings, should not be worn.
- The clients staying in the suites arranged for by our Clinic enjoy the benefit of having their plastic surgeon in-house, as the Chief surgeon’s consultation office is in the same building as the suites, and the Clinic itself is within 50 m distance.
Eyelid surgery - the operation
Blepharoplasty is usually performed under local anesthesia, unless general anesthesia is required. The price of the operation increases with the latter, and overnight hospitalization is then mandatory. After the face is disinfected and draped with sterile sheets, the plastic surgeon measures the exact amount of skin to be removed and marks the incision line on the skin. The excess skin is removed and the fat pads are exposed and also removed. The incisions are then sutured and adhesive strips are placed over the stitches.
After the blepharoplasty procedure
Until your state of health stabilized, our medical staff will check on you every day after the operation, to ensure your healing is going well.
Clients are asked to come to our Clinic with dark glasses to wear after the operation, to protect the eyes in the post-operative period and to hide the bruising and swelling under the eyes that are common post-operative syndromes. For the first couple of days after the operation, apply cold and compress bandages as recommended.
On the 5-7th day after the operation, the stitches are removed. It is possible to return to work in 10-14 days after the operation.
THE PRICE OF THE OPERATION INCLUDES:
- the clients are kindly requested to arrange their own transport upon arrival, we shall be pleased to organize the pick-up service upon departure after the surgery – clinic driver is available to help you with the luggage and give you a lift to the airport or bus/train station when departing (you will be picked up in the clinic suit or at the hotel reception)
- personal consultation with the plastic surgeon
- the actual operation under local anesthesia
- stay at the Clinic for min. 3-4 hours
- all necessary medications and dressing material in the pre- and post- operative period
- elastic wear
- all the post-operative care (consultation, changing bandages, check-ups)